Friday, February 20, 2009

Dew Buster to the Rescue!

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd share a little construction retrofitting project I've been (lazily) working on. It's the Dew Buster from Ron Keating http://www.dewbuster.com/ Twas recommended to me by none other than our very own John Flamini as he's tried just about everything on the market. He's the "goto" guy to validate if you have a brand new invention or if someone has already made that product, lol.



Anyway, so I'm retrofitting this Dew Buster to my 24", so far so good. Last night I finished up the cage, mounted a 4-port RCA jack thing, you can see on the lower right there, very close to where the rear set of trusses join at the cage. That way there will only be a short cable hanging out of my trusses. I plan to thread the wires up through somehow, kinda difficult once you install the threaded inserts. Please click these small pics, larger ones will load allowing you to see the detail.






So, here it is, and here is my little work area showing the tools I'm using. The Weller soldering iron is a GODSEND! I highly recommend throwing away that cheap hunk of $2 iron you typically get at Walmart (no offense Walmart) and investing in one of these babies. From pluggin in to ready to solder in about 2 seconds. Plus the extreme fine tip allows you to get in really tight areas, normally inaccessable wth the other junk.
Again, click the pic for a larger version.

So, one heating wrap done, for the 50mm finder objective, three more to go. I plan to have one for the eyepiece end of the finder, one for the largest EP I own (the 31mm Nagler hand grenade, which will also work on the smaller 1-1/4" EP's) and possibly one for the telrad.

But, the hard part is done, I believe, in building the mount for the 4-port RCA thing and installing it to the cage. Just need the other three wraps and mounting the controller to the mirror box. I am hoping that my currently installed 12Ah SLA battery will handle the extra load. It is currently only powering a Primary fan and the Secondary dew heater from Astrosystems http://www.astrosystems.biz/, which works like a charm btw.

Clear skies and See y'all later!
Bill Mitchell



No comments:

Post a Comment