Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dew Buster project is DONE!

Yes it is true,
last night I officially finished the three year dew buster upgrade (cowers in fear). A fun project, learned a lot, thanks to John Flamini for the use of his awesomely constructed resistor ladder-block which enabled quick soldering, sweatshop fashion! Installed a cigarette socket for the dew buster near my control panel, I just couldn't bring myself to cut that (albeit fat and ugly) cigarette plug off the new dew buster. Plus it is fused, so I wanted to keep that feature. Which reminds me to add 'fuse all electronic lines this winter' to my todo list.

I built three heat wraps, one for each end of the optical finder, and one for the eyepiece, large enough to handle the 31mm hand grenade. All tested out perfectly last night, which makes me very happy, now I actually have time to think about what I need to pack before BFSP for a change.

Here's a shot of the complete system last night, the cigarette socket isn't quite visible, but the dew buster and rats nest of wires are. I'd like to clean that up somehow, another winter project!

Quick viewing from my light-polluted location, daughter Kelly and I whipped around to the following:

ET Cluster

carbon star in Cass

albireo

M27

coathanger

and Jupiter through the trees. 4 moons and 2 bands is all, but not bad for shooting through the trees.

September 14, 2009 2100-2200 UT
Millcreek, PA

Great evening was had by all, successful project, all prepared now for BFSP '09 baby!

See y'all there!
Bill

1 comment:

  1. Those pilot lights will cost you a couple magnitude in viewing!!

    ReplyDelete